Friday, July 17, 2009

Every Picture Tells A Story - Rod Stewart (Almost Famous soundtrack)

I've decided to tell my story in picture because I'm tired of writing things, but I know that it's time for an update here. Also, many (most) of these pictures are already on Facebook but whatever. There may be a few more details here. Who knows.

Last Saturday at the Organic Farm we started out the day by digging for sweet potatoes (地瓜). It was really hot outside (surprise) but we all dug up one or two. They let us take some home and Leechew took them to school on Monday to cook them, as our dorms have nothing close to a kitchen. Liu Laoshi and Bai Laoshi ended up cooking them in a rice cooker I'm pretty sure, then Leechew shared the 地瓜 with all the teachers and everyone else. This all went on during our study hours in the afternoon.


Back to the farm, after gardening we went to a table and ended up making plant boxes, in which we planted sprouts. I re-discovered my lack of ability in the carpentry department. We had some fun though -  Courtney was a creeper as usual. After lunch, we put dirt in the boxes. I discovered some bugs in the dirt and freaked out a bit - and tried to check that I didn't have any in my box. Anyway, we brought them home and they've grown quite nicely without much help. All of our sprouts are growing toward the window, which means sideways, and it's rather funny looking.



I like smelling flowers. Actually, it doesn't smell. It was really pretty in this area, with a bunch of lotus flowers and various others. There were some pretty awesome really tall orange ones. 


Ryan is fishing in the tiny stream, using a flower petal to catch a fish to put into the giant leaves that repel water. We're not quite sure how he's doing it though. 

We got a tour of all the various plants and flowers growing around the field and restaurant. One of them was a tree which grew very tiny limes (or lemons as they're called here?). They were quite tasty, but also quite sour. 


This is my desk set up for doing my calligraphy homework. I'm going to do my homework for this week as soon as I finish up here. Calligraphy class is pretty much awesome, though I still really can't do it. They split the class so now it's just the four of us Puget Sound kids together. Last week, we talked with Bai Laoshi about how he can tell our personalities by looking at our calligraphy. Also, whenever he left the room, we talked about how epically we fail at calligraphy and generally started laughing. Then Bai Laoshi would come back and we would be in hysterics. Good times.

Courtney, Leechew and I went on an adventure to find the ice place Liu Laoshi took us to the first day we arrived in the university. It took us a while. We had a bad map, people sending us to the wrong kind of ice place, finding some sketchy shops up alleys, and after a phone call and some more wrong turns we found it.

So delicious! I don't know how to describe it. Shaved ice (冰) plus three things you choose out of a selection. I have tapioca balls (珍珠), another kind of balls that are pink and white, and green beans(綠豆). Then there's some sugar and milk (牛奶) on top. 

Yesterday (Friday) we made jiaozi (餃子) during the afternoon. I don't like any of the translations, but generally we made either dumplings or pot stickers. In reality we make jiaozi, both shuijiao (水餃) and guotie (鍋貼). Chen Laoshi and Liu Laoshi are here preparing the filling. Courtney chopped vegetables and I washed some. In this picture I am being very helpful. Clearly.

The insides all mixed and ready to go. Pork, vegetables, and sauces.

Here we are learning how to make (抱) the jiaozi. Ours didn't look so good, but I think got a little better after some practice. Or that what the teachers said (越來越好).

Liu Laoshi and his wonderful jiaozi, which he does know how to make. 


Cooking in the jiaozi.

And eating the jiaozi.


And that's my story for today. Comment! Or something. Or not. 

3 comments:

  1. What does your calligraphy say about your personality?? Also, Lisa introduced me to a frozen yogurt place at the mall (very similar to Katherine's) where you can pick from a bunch of different flavors and toppings. It's wonderful. Kind of like your shaved ice? Ish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what mine says. I don't think I asked him. Leechew's says she's open-minded. And Courtney's says she can reach things but doesn't get very far with them. Well, Bai Laoshi said the open-minded one and we collectively came up with Courtney's while Bai Laoshi was out of the room. I don't remember what the rest of ours was.

    Also, yes, kind of like my shaved ice-ish. I think the concept is the same except it's all the same flavor of ice (haha) but the toppings selections is most likely very very different. And by most likely I mean definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good caption! I like all the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete